The Business of National Days – just for fun
What do Underwear, Root beer, and S’mores all have in common? They all have a National Day they are celebrated. And in fact, we just missed National Executive Coaching Day (how did you celebrate?). Though most businesses only recognize 6 or 7 holidays annually, the list of National Days (which is not quite as official) is well over 1,000. With summer just around the corner we thought we’d have a little fun and share a list of recognized National Days our readers might find interesting.
Who would have thought Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day had so much competition?
Regardless of the official starting date of summer, most of us think of Memorial Day and Labor Day as the bookends of summer. Our Summer list of National Days is now through Labor Day of those we thought were the best for business. Here you go! Be sure to schedule and celebrate a few of these in the coming months!
- National Lucky Penny Day, May 23 – It’s always good to be lucky.
- Aviation Maintenance Technician Day, May 23 – For you frequent (and not so frequent) fliers.
- National Bike to Work Week, May 20-26 – if not to work, after work…great exercise.
- World Trade Month, May (month) – Are you thinking big enough with your product or service?
- National Safe Boating Week, May 20-26 – Have fun, but think smart on the water.
- National Brisket Day / National Hamburger Day, May 28 – Support your favorite BBQ restaurant!
- National Memorial Day, May 28 – Remember those who gave all.
- National Speak in Sentences Day, May 31 – There is still value in effective communication.
- National Dairy Month, June (month) – My mom always said it was a reason to have milk shakes!
- National Donut Day #NationalDonutDay, June 1 – Bring donuts to work or to your favorite customer.
- National Say Something Nice Day, June 1 – Check out Smiles are Free. They really are!
- National Leave The Office Early Day, June 1 – Obviously created by the slackers, but embraced by all!
- National Business Etiquette Week, June 3-9 – Professionalism and Manners still matter.
- National Cancer Survivor’s Day, June 3 (1st Sunday) Beat it cancer, you don’t always win.
- World Blood Donor Day, June 14 – Something you can promote company wide. Save a life.
- Father’s Day, June 17 (3rd Sunday) – When Fathers treat themselves by grilling their own dinner.
- National Take Your Dog to Work Day, June 24 – If your business allows it and you have a dog. Go for it!
- National Beautician’s Day, June 26 – The salon industry is a $5.1 Billion industry and growing!
- National Insurance Awareness Day, June 28 – When is the last time you reviewed your coverages?
- Social Media Day #SMDay, June 30 – Interesting…I thought most of America thought every day was?
- National Independent Retailer, July (month) – Amazon, we aren’t rolling over for you!
- National Picnic Month, July (month) – Schedule some meals outside, both business and personal.
- Everybody Deserves a Massage Week, July 15-21 – Hire a massage therapist to come to your business for day.
- Independence Day, July 4th – Enjoy the day off. Take in a fireworks display. Spend time with family and friends.
- National Simplicity Day, July 12 – Commit to one change to simplify your business & life.
- National Give Something Away Day, July 15 – One man’s junk is another man’s treasure!
- Get to Know Your Customers Day, July 19 – Personal relationships still matter.
- National System Administrator Appreciation Day, July 27 (Last Friday) – It’s a thankless job. Thank them.
- National Preparedness, August (Month) – Have a plan you never know when you’ll need it.
- National Eye Exam, August (Month) – Getting headaches reading? Traffic signs blurry?
- Self-Improvement, August (Month) – Do one thing this month to improve you!
- National Frozen Custard Day, Aug 8 – Enough said.
- National Book Lovers Day #NationalBookLoversDay, Aug. 9 – Check out an Aspire Book Review
- National S’mores Day, Aug. 10 – My daughter said this one is required.
- National Garage Sale Day, Aug. 11 (2nd Sat) – Time to turn unused business assets into cash.
- National Tell a Joke Day, Aug 16 – A guy walks into a bar…remember Smiles Are Free
- National College Colors Day, Aug 31 – A great way to support your favorite college.
- Build a Better Image Week, September 16-22 – What can you do to improve the image of your business?
- Register to Vote Week, September 23-29 – It’s your right, exercise it.
- National Labor Day, Sept 3rd (1st Mon) Dignity and Respect. Do you know the history?
If you’re curious, there are national days for just about every flavor of ice cream, pie, cake and pastry you can think of. The dessert marketing companies have definitely been working diligently to try and find new ways to get you to blow your diet. And for those who are healthy eaters, you’ll be happy to know there are also national days for almost every fruit and vegetable too, so at least its balanced.
What about you? Does your business have fun with any of the not so official National Days that are celebrated across the country? Are there any days missing from the above list that you plan to celebrate? As always we value your comments in the space below.
Chris Steinlage Kansas City Business Coach