Your survey responses indicate you are currently operating your business similar to our clients who are at :
Level 2 – Climbing
In our experience, Business owners who get this ranking on the evaluation now have a team of people who take care of some of the details of day-to-day business needs. There are even times, unlike in the beginning, when a sale or project happens without them. They are never short of ideas – with a lot of opportunities for expansion and a long list of things they’d like to fix when it comes to operations. However they generally can’t find the time to really get all of the important things done – there tends to be a lot of fires to fight and it’s easy to fall into heroic behaviors.
Some typical questions business owners bring up at this stage are: Why can’t things just run smoothly? Why is it that if I’m not on top of everything, the team gets fragmented and quality suffers? How can I spend less time fighting fires and more time leading the company? We need new ways of selling or communicating with the team or delivering to our client/customer, but what will work best?
These are all significant challenges and there’s not a single easy answer…however here are some questions we have found can help business owners at this stage bring order out of chaos. What a relief it is for owners to find out that not only are they not the only ones with these issues, but there are tested solutions they can put in place!
- Are you and your team focused on the same purpose for your business? What is that purpose? Do you have SMART goals that are in line with your purpose?
- Are your goals & objectives Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Results Oriented and Time bound? Are they meaningful and understandable by the entire team?
- Are your sales people expected to meet specific goals and to be knowledgeable about the benefits of your products and services? Do you have regular productive sales meetings with an agenda and a desired outcome?
- Are you able to depend on your team when you are unavailable? Are you able to delegate responsibility to your team members and are you confident they will complete the task?
Successfully getting through the Climb phase requires a lot of focus, clarity and purposely building up momentum…and creating a leadership team that can leverage what you’ve built to this point.
Growth – Taking it to Stage 3
Now it is time to take your business to the level where you function as a Leader and we are here to encourage you progress. We have identified a number of areas where we help business owners like you reach your goals and objectives and to determine what your business purpose is.
Those areas include –
- SMART goal setting – What are your exact goals and how can you reach them? Are your goals realistic and tracked/measured? Do you have a 5 year goal, an annual goal, and guidepost goals to help you accomplish your company vision?
- Simple Strategic Planning and Focus – Once you’ve got a good handle on your goals, you also need to develop a consistent process to execute on those goals – both for yourself and for your team. It doesn’t need to be complicated, but it does need to be effective if you’re going to get anywhere.
- Systemization – What areas of your current systems could be more efficient? What additional processes and procedures could be more efficient or less time consuming? Are your systems documented
- Sales Management – Are all of your sales people knowledgeable about the benefits of your products and services? Do you have regular sales training and measure the effectiveness of your marketing and sales initiatives? Do you have a consistent sales process for your sales people to follow so they can be more successful? Do you track and measure their productivity?
- Team Delegation – Do you have the right people in the right seats? Do your people have the tools they need to complete their responsibilities effectively and efficiently? Are you confident in your team’s ability to complete tasks that you have always done yourself?
- Diversification – Is there additional products or services that would complement your current offerings? Do you have a visionary within your company, that always looks for opportunities (and threats) for your business to capitalize on?
Through our coaching and training programs we can help you evaluate and improve each of these areas. We’ll help you take a fresh look at all aspects of your business so you can refine your market, improve your operation and grow your company even more profitably.
You’ll be well on your way from Level 2 – Climbing Phase to Level 3 – Leading!
Contact us today to set up a no obligation coaching session to learn more!
Make the call today!
Shawn Kinkade or Chris Steinlage
Phone: (913) 660-9400
Email: [email protected]
Request more information – enter Coaching in the comments section.